Get Adobe Flash player

Posts Tagged ‘West Virginia’

280ZX – Exhaust & CV Axles

Slightly out of sequence pictures again, but it was easier to show the process this way as I did not take many pictures of the CV install.

The difference is a torsion out of a Subaru WRX STI (R180) Torsion type (3.54). The CV/Flanges are the Wolf Creek Racing kit, I was told when I did this I was the first person to try this in a 280ZX. The only difference was I had to use 240z bolts on one side and 280ZX on the other (wheel side) to make the new CV’s work.

The Exhaust is 3 inches all the way back. I am still trying to source a flange for the 280ZX Stock turbo so I can remove the cast piece.

 

Pictures Taken May (1-2) & August (remaining) 2016

280ZX Intercooler / New Radiator

 

So I had to cut into the ZX to do the intercooler installation, I did not take many pictures of the process but I did try to give ample room on each side and keep them even. While it is not obvious in the pictures they came out pretty close.

All of the brackets I had to fabricate myself, my kit was missing (I later found them after project was done) some brackets and I did not like how it was going to mount anyway. I made to “sandwich” brackets (Pictures 3-4) to give the core support better support the adjustable “L” brackets  I had made earlier. (Image 8 etc) I just did not like the idea of it hanging the way it was without some re-enforcement.

I then drilled holes on the lower area of the support for the longer threaded rods that are on the lower section of the intercooler. I then used a rubber grommet to cover the bottom nub to give the intercooler something to sit on and slightly wedge it so it would not move back and forth.

Not the new radiator, the process was the same as the old one to make the fans work so I do not really re-document this process.

I also had to cut the piping a bit shorter near the coupler in front of the engine for the newer throttle body + spacer I was running.

 

Pictures are slightly out of sequence but posted this way to make more sense to the context of the post. Pictures taken July (First 7)/September 2016

280ZX Front TTT Suspension/Brakes

TTT Front end upgrades (brakes/arms/coilovers)

Pictures taken around June 2016

280ZX – P90 Turbo Head Rebuild IV

 

Continued Progress/Pictures

Pictures Taken 12/15/15

Engine Rebuild (L28ET) – II

Pictures Taken 8/1/2015 (First 3), 8/2/2015 (4-6), & 8-7-2015 (Remaining)

Engine Rebuild (L28ET) – I

Early Rebuild Pictures of the block.

ARP Main Bolts.

Note: Paint had to be stripped, remaining bits were removed later.

Pictures Taken: August 1, 2015

Floor Install – VII

Continued Floor installation…not rust was from having new floor sit for a month or so prior to install.

Pictures Taken 7/19/2015

Floor Install – I

Early install pictures of the drivers side frame rails. Note that paint is stripped on both sides of the original rail and covered with a weldable primer. I am a rookie/self taught welder which is evident in the pictures. I did try and clean it up and ended up making it uglier (future pictures), but regardless the floor is not going anywhere.

Pictures Taken: 6/19/21015 (First 3), 6/20/2015 (4-6),  6/21/2015 (Last)

Engine tear down II

 

Continued Images of the Engine tear down. Note that the cylinder walls look worse then they are…this is a result of the sharpness of the camera I am using…they did pass the fingernail test and were within specs. I have however decided to go with a .040 mm over since its apart anyway.

Pictures Taken 4/19/2015 (First 6),  4/20/2015 (7-12), & 4/2/2015 (Remaining)

240z Floor Prep

Prep work continues on the floor area. You can see my attempt in picture 5 to restore some of the original rail. I am not sure if I am going to cut it out or not, but at least it makes good practice for a rookie welder.

Pictures Taken 4/3/2014 (First 3) & 4/4/2015