Archive for September 2016
280ZX – Exhaust & CV Axles
Slightly out of sequence pictures again, but it was easier to show the process this way as I did not take many pictures of the CV install.
The difference is a torsion out of a Subaru WRX STI (R180) Torsion type (3.54). The CV/Flanges are the Wolf Creek Racing kit, I was told when I did this I was the first person to try this in a 280ZX. The only difference was I had to use 240z bolts on one side and 280ZX on the other (wheel side) to make the new CV’s work.
The Exhaust is 3 inches all the way back. I am still trying to source a flange for the 280ZX Stock turbo so I can remove the cast piece.
Pictures Taken May (1-2) & August (remaining) 2016
280ZX Intercooler / New Radiator
So I had to cut into the ZX to do the intercooler installation, I did not take many pictures of the process but I did try to give ample room on each side and keep them even. While it is not obvious in the pictures they came out pretty close.
All of the brackets I had to fabricate myself, my kit was missing (I later found them after project was done) some brackets and I did not like how it was going to mount anyway. I made to “sandwich” brackets (Pictures 3-4) to give the core support better support the adjustable “L” brackets I had made earlier. (Image 8 etc) I just did not like the idea of it hanging the way it was without some re-enforcement.
I then drilled holes on the lower area of the support for the longer threaded rods that are on the lower section of the intercooler. I then used a rubber grommet to cover the bottom nub to give the intercooler something to sit on and slightly wedge it so it would not move back and forth.
Not the new radiator, the process was the same as the old one to make the fans work so I do not really re-document this process.
I also had to cut the piping a bit shorter near the coupler in front of the engine for the newer throttle body + spacer I was running.
Pictures are slightly out of sequence but posted this way to make more sense to the context of the post. Pictures taken July (First 7)/September 2016
280ZX – Engine Drop
I rebuilt the engine over the winter, and did quite a few tweaks, as noted in other posts. As of this writing I am still dialing things in and I am half way through the break in process.
Pictures Taken in May 2016
280ZX – Engine Pull, Modified Radiator, Etc
The First few pictures are of modifications I made to the original Radiator for the electric fans. I had to weld this up as they lost the original support they had. The head was off the engine prior to removal as I believed it was damaged (which does not appear to be). The engine will be likely used in the upcoming 240 with different pistons. The pictures are from me removing the original AFM bracket…with it in place it was making routing of the intercooler much more difficult and wasn’t needed anymore now anyway.
Pictures Taken April 2016 (pictures are out of sequence with previous posts)