Get Adobe Flash player

Engine

Oil Pan/Cross-member -280ZX

 

Several oil leaks appeared fairly quickly around the classic areas of the new oil pan so I had to finally pull it after attempts to stop the leak had failed. Additionally I needed to “modify” the rear of the pan with a hammer as it was kissing the cross member. The job is generally a pain with a stock pan but with the additional size of the custom pan I was forced to pull out the front cross member to ease re-installation and it needed repainted anyway.

 

Pictures Taken in June/Early July 2017

 

 

 

280ZX Intercooler / New Radiator

 

So I had to cut into the ZX to do the intercooler installation, I did not take many pictures of the process but I did try to give ample room on each side and keep them even. While it is not obvious in the pictures they came out pretty close.

All of the brackets I had to fabricate myself, my kit was missing (I later found them after project was done) some brackets and I did not like how it was going to mount anyway. I made to “sandwich” brackets (Pictures 3-4) to give the core support better support the adjustable “L” brackets  I had made earlier. (Image 8 etc) I just did not like the idea of it hanging the way it was without some re-enforcement.

I then drilled holes on the lower area of the support for the longer threaded rods that are on the lower section of the intercooler. I then used a rubber grommet to cover the bottom nub to give the intercooler something to sit on and slightly wedge it so it would not move back and forth.

Not the new radiator, the process was the same as the old one to make the fans work so I do not really re-document this process.

I also had to cut the piping a bit shorter near the coupler in front of the engine for the newer throttle body + spacer I was running.

 

Pictures are slightly out of sequence but posted this way to make more sense to the context of the post. Pictures taken July (First 7)/September 2016

280ZX – Engine Pull, Modified Radiator, Etc

The First few pictures are of modifications I made to the original Radiator for the electric fans. I had to weld this up as they lost the original support they had. The head was off the engine prior to removal as I believed it was damaged (which does not appear to be). The engine will be likely used in the upcoming 240 with different pistons. The pictures are from me removing the original AFM bracket…with it in place it was making routing of the intercooler much more difficult and wasn’t needed anymore now anyway.

Pictures Taken April 2016 (pictures are out of sequence with previous posts)

Block/Kameari Engine Works Timing Chain

Several days progress on the engine including the Kameari timing chain tensioner install. Note that I had to grind down the head (pictures 4-5) to get the full travel. Also note, do not use a thick gasket between the blue piece and the block as it will cause the chain to bind on the lower gear.

Note as of this writing I am 5 months behind on pictures – This engine is ready to drop in the engine bay – I am going to attempt to do larger updates to make things a bit more current.

Pictures Taken December 2015

280ZX – P90 Turbo Head Rebuild III

 

Continued progress on the Head with adjustable cam gear.

I can’t remember for certain but I believe this was the second time assembling the head (which is why it is a bit messier) as I managed to strip out a cam tower bolt because of a wrong torque spec in the How to Rebuild Your Datun OHC Engine book. Ironically I had been cross referencing everything up to the point with the FSM but obviously did not on this one as there is a huge difference in torque (10 vs 25 iirc without looking). So I had to tear everything down and retap and helicoil the towers bolt holes (some others were damaged and did not want to take a chance). To add to the difficulty I even managed to break my helicoil tap off in one of the holes. Thankfully, I was able to extract it by using a Dremel and a sand strong bit. Eventually after sanding the center down I was able to use a screw driver to reverse it out without and additional damage.  After all of this I had to do some extensive cleaning and then put things back together again.

Pictures Taken 12/14/2015

280ZX – P90 Turbo Head Rebuild II

Note transitions are no where near as rough as pictures make them look.

Pictures Taken 12/12/2015

280ZX – P90 Turbo Head Rebuild

P90 head back form LoneWolf Performance, +1MM oversize exhaust.

Note: some of the stains are from test fits

Pictures Taken August 9, 2015

Valve Cover

Pictures of the prep/final product on the 280ZX Valve Cover.

Pictures Taken: 9-14-2014

Engine Rebuild (L28ET) – II

Pictures Taken 8/1/2015 (First 3), 8/2/2015 (4-6), & 8-7-2015 (Remaining)