Get Adobe Flash player

Author Archives: Yoak

Oil Pan/Cross-member -280ZX


Several oil leaks appeared fairly quickly around the classic areas of the new oil pan so I had to finally pull it after attempts to stop the leak had failed. Additionally I needed to “modify” the rear of the pan with a hammer as it was kissing the cross member. The job is generally a pain with a stock pan but with the additional size of the custom pan I was forced to pull out the front cross member to ease re-installation and it needed repainted anyway.


Pictures Taken in June/Early July 2017




280ZX Radiator Modification/New Fans

Wow, it’s been about a year without an update!

The project (280ZX) is still ongoing and the 240Z is still on hold- and I have some pictures altough for various reasons I haven’t been able to take/post as many as I would like.

Brief update as of today (pictures in a future post)

  • MS3 – Installed, Car has 700ish miles on it in the year that I rebuilt it
  • Front end had to come out for an oil leak and “modification” of the DP racing fan to clear the steering rack mounts
  • Rear End is out again, camber/caster issues & TTT rear end coil over install
  • Installed the 240Z roll cage in the ZX because it was taking up to much room in the garage
  • Upgraded Alternator (GM) for the new electric fans.
  • Rewired a good chunk of the original harness/upgraded grounds and charging cables.

The Following Pictures were taken in January of 2017:  I replaced the CX racing Fans with PERMA COOL fans and had to cut the original fan shroud brackets. These fans barely fit, and required some rewiring and an upgraded alternator to give me some breathing room as the original was dying anyway. I did not take as many pictures of the fans while installing them as I would have liked but you will get the idea.


280ZX – Exhaust & CV Axles

Slightly out of sequence pictures again, but it was easier to show the process this way as I did not take many pictures of the CV install.

The difference is a torsion out of a Subaru WRX STI (R180) Torsion type (3.54). The CV/Flanges are the Wolf Creek Racing kit, I was told when I did this I was the first person to try this in a 280ZX. The only difference was I had to use 240z bolts on one side and 280ZX on the other (wheel side) to make the new CV’s work.

The Exhaust is 3 inches all the way back. I am still trying to source a flange for the 280ZX Stock turbo so I can remove the cast piece.


Pictures Taken May (1-2) & August (remaining) 2016

280ZX Intercooler / New Radiator


So I had to cut into the ZX to do the intercooler installation, I did not take many pictures of the process but I did try to give ample room on each side and keep them even. While it is not obvious in the pictures they came out pretty close.

All of the brackets I had to fabricate myself, my kit was missing (I later found them after project was done) some brackets and I did not like how it was going to mount anyway. I made to “sandwich” brackets (Pictures 3-4) to give the core support better support the adjustable “L” brackets¬† I had made earlier. (Image 8 etc) I just did not like the idea of it hanging the way it was without some re-enforcement.

I then drilled holes on the lower area of the support for the longer threaded rods that are on the lower section of the intercooler. I then used a rubber grommet to cover the bottom nub to give the intercooler something to sit on and slightly wedge it so it would not move back and forth.

Not the new radiator, the process was the same as the old one to make the fans work so I do not really re-document this process.

I also had to cut the piping a bit shorter near the coupler in front of the engine for the newer throttle body + spacer I was running.


Pictures are slightly out of sequence but posted this way to make more sense to the context of the post. Pictures taken July (First 7)/September 2016

280ZX – Engine Drop


I rebuilt the engine over the winter, and did quite a few tweaks, as noted in other posts. As of this writing I am still dialing things in and I am half way through the break in process.

Pictures Taken in May 2016

280ZX – Engine Pull, Modified Radiator, Etc

The First few pictures are of modifications I made to the original Radiator for the electric fans. I had to weld this up as they lost the original support they had. The head was off the engine prior to removal as I believed it was damaged (which does not appear to be). The engine will be likely used in the upcoming 240 with different pistons. The pictures are from me removing the original AFM bracket…with it in place it was making routing of the intercooler much more difficult and wasn’t needed anymore now anyway.

Pictures Taken April 2016 (pictures are out of sequence with previous posts)

Misc 280ZX

A bit of a random assortment of pictures from the project.

Pictures 1-2: Old Fuel Pump vs new

Picture 3: Old Flywheel

Pictures 4-5: New Engine/Flywheel

Pictures 6-7: Subaru R180 with new Stub Axles and aftermarket cover

Pictures Taken April-May 2016

280ZX Front TTT Suspension/Brakes

TTT Front end upgrades (brakes/arms/coilovers)

Pictures taken around June 2016

280ZX Misc/Suspension Upgrade


Pictures Taken: March/April 2016

280ZX – Misc Engine Work

Quite a bit going on in this post and it spans a few months of winter.

Pictures 1-2: Another View of the modified oil pan

Pictures 3-4: Modified Oil pickup

Pictures: 5-6: My Intake prior to sending it out to Lonewolf performance to get it welded up again. I had removed the unneeded provisions as I am going to a MeagaSquirt Setup. Note: I do have it back and it came out nicely.

Remaining Pictures: The other pictures cover the pulley and new key install (mine was damaged).

Pictures Taken Late 2015/Early 2016