Posts Tagged ‘California’
NOTE: ***This is an out of sequence post***
These pictures were taken just after the turbo engine was installed but before the restore started. You can see some of the rust areas that t I had to focus on when I started my restore.
Photos Taken 11/20/2007
Found some picutres of the 280ZXR when I installed the Clear Tail Lights. There is a small crack, which I was given a discount for at the time, on the left tail light. Apparently this was an issue that happened fairly commonly when the company was trying to make them for the 280ZXs. Overall it was a minor imperfection and went with them anyway.
NOTE: This is an out of sequence post, as I just recently found an old Compact flash card with some pictures from back in 2007.
These pictures were taken just after the turbo engine was installed but before the restore started.
Photos Taken 11/20/2007
These are among the last photos taken of the car in 2008. The Car had the turbo engine in for about a month when some questions about the engine came up. Smog and EFI were the main issues as it was never going to run correctly on the 79 EFI. After much debate I elected to return the car to a closer form of what it was when it when it came from the factory. So the turbo engine was pulled (August) and the engine was rebuilt with flat tops for a NA application. I did not take pictures of this process as timing had become an issue. I moved cross country about one month after these pictures were taken. The plan was to drive the ZXR cross country for a new job that I was going to take. In the end this never happened, and I would not take the car with me. Ultimately I ended up driving the 240z cross country as there were less issues to address with it. The ZXR took its cross country trip in December of 2009 and would not be touched again until late 2010.
Photos Taken: 6/13/2008 (Oil Pan & Front Engine Cover) & 8/2/2008 (Bumper Restore)
Here are some pictures of the undercarriage after it was repainted. Unfortunately, I don’t have the before and after pictures to show the difference. If you look back at the purchase pictures you can get an idea. This was very early in the process; the amount of grease that came off the car was unbelievable. There were only a few small areas with surface rust and thankfully no major areas that needed repaired. It is ironic in hindsight how an engine swap turned into a major rework of the car.
Photos Taken: 04/19/2008
Here are some some additional pictures of the engine bay to show it’s progress. Also, here are some pictures of additional areas of the car I that I was starting to work on.
Photos Taken: 04/14/2008
After a long debate it was determined repainting the engine bay was ideal. Ultimately I went with black texture plant because of the ease of touch up and it’s protective qualities.
Photos Taken: 04/13/2008
9/5/2011: Updated Title, as they are quite a few in the restore series